SEL301: PRACTICUM COURSE :
Implementing and Leading a
Social-Emotional Learning and
School Culture/Climate Initiative
Current Section: January 23rd – May 14th, 2017: (Closed)
Next Section: September 25th, 2017 – January 21st, 2018: (Open)
The practicum is designed to provide participants with a framework and professional practice as an SEL/SECD/School Culture and Climate (SCC) leader, and an opportunity to create and begin implementing an action plan for school-wide change. Completing the practicum gives the participant a clearly defined, real-world field experience under the supervision of an assigned practicum facilitator.
In addition, the participants will receive support via a virtual professional learning community (PLC) consisting of a team of experts. The practicum will provide participants with the opportunity to complete, synthesize, and apply the concepts, theories, and skills learned throughout the SEL101 and SEL201 coursework in this certificate program. There are four pre-scheduled online workshops that take place during the 16 weeks of the course (see workshop calendar for dates).
The practicum is designed to provide participants with:
- A professionally supervised experience of direct practice at the school-wide level.
- Mentoring from faculty and experts in SEL/SECD and SCC.
- Guided professional practice of school-focused coordination of SEL/SCC.
- Strategies and resources to make a positive difference in their educational setting.
- Specific experience in collaborating with one’s cohort in the practicum and with the resources and experts available through a virtual PLC.